VAT Compliance Manager
- Post Date:25th March 2022 14311
- Views 121
Purpose of role: Reporting directly to the Head of European Shared Services, this role manages the in-house indirect tax compliance function, responsible for all European Indirect Tax obligations, supported by the Group Indirect Tax Manager. This role works closely with Business Stakeholders, Finance, Customer Service, Accounts Payable and the Group’s external VAT compliance advisors, while gaining significant exposure to European indirect tax matters. This role is responsible for the accurate and timely submission of all required indirect tax filings in Europe.
Business As Usual
- Review of all required European VAT returns prepared by SSC VAT Accountants , liaising with the Company’s external VAT compliance advisers to ensure all returns are submitted accurately and timely;
- Measuring and managing the performance of the Company’s external indirect VAT compliance advisers;
- Review and submission of all required UK reports, such as VAT, Intrastat and ECSL, etc;
- Oversee the VAT reporting, ensure VAT compliance, identify risk and minimising VAT liabilities and compliance issues;
- Provide Indirect Tax provision advice to other functions within the Shared Service Centre and sites, liaise with and manage the working relationships with Finance, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, and Customer Service;
- Manage indirect tax audits for European countries, supported by Group Indirect Tax Manager, including all relationships with external advisers and tax authorities;
- Ensure that all appropriate tax internal controls, procedures and reporting functionality are complied with to enable the proper flow of data to minimise tax risks, accurate recording, and timely completion of all Indirect Tax related returns;
- Focus on process continuous improvement and identification of process and system enhancements and efficiencies;
- Partner with Information Technology Team to improve systems, perform root cause analysis, and ensure automatic transactions are compliant and working to meet data requirements;
- Effectively implement new processes and procedures to comply with changes with VAT laws;
- Drive efficiencies in working and reporting system to manage risk and improve the reporting process, and display knowledge of domestic compliance requirements and explain it to impacted Teams.
- Deliver Indirect Tax support/advice on various projects in Europe such as business acquisitions, supply chain changes, and other significant business changes with an Indirect Tax impact;
- Deliver VAT training for Commercial and Finance colleagues;
- Manage members of the VAT Compliance Team, ensuring all job descriptions, performance objectives, performance appraisals, and career development processes are completed;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Proactively identify new or complex areas and work with key stakeholders and Tax team to identify and follow through on VAT risks and opportunities
- Support all projects requiring Indirect Tax input and support;
- Participating as required in the Finance Transformation programme, working with other Finance team members and the wider business to deliver our vision for Group Finance.
- Actively participate in and provide critique of Indirect tax related parts of Pathway including design reviews, integrated walkthroughs and user acceptance testing.
- Participation in other process and business improvement initiatives related to either directly to Indirect Tax or the wider business
- Participation in M&A activity as required – including but not limited to providing or analysing data for due diligence activity, preparing processes and systems for transition, validating and testing data, ensuring resources are in place and trained
Head of ESSC, Group Indirect Tax Manager, European Credit Manager & team, European Accounts Payable Manager & team, Procurement colleagues.
Skills And Knowledge
- Solid team management and organisational skills;
- Proven competency in European VAT accounting and reporting requirements;
- Ability to apply knowledge of indirect tax principles to operational systems, processes and policies;
- Ability to build relationships with stakeholders and to manage multiple priorities at the same time;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written;
- Focused attention to detail
- Superior work ethic and a dedication to the highest work quality and job excellence;
- Demonstrated ability to contribute to a culture of excellence, integrity and accountability;
- Ability to function effectively in a changing environment;
- Operational European Indirect Tax Compliance experience, preferably experience in a Big 4 or large in-house based role;
- Solid understanding of basic finance and accounting principles;
- Information systems experience, such as SAP, and proficient in applications such as Excel, Word, and Outlook;
- Leadership skills to manage a multicultural team and proven ability in building a high performing team.
Location and Travel requirements:
Position based at the European SSC in Harlow (UK) with some travel expected to other Synthomer European locations as required.
We are ambitious!
We have grown significantly – both organically and inorganically. We are a FTSE 250 listed company, 22% of our revenue comes from newly commercialized products, and we’re recognized in the top-quartile for chemicals manufacturing safety.
We believe in high challenge, high support!
We are keen to let you contribute in real roles from day 1. We expect a lot, but offer a lot, too. This includes onboarding, induction and learning events, networking opportunities, mentoring and personal development planning. So, be up for an inspiring long-term career adventure.
We personalize our approach to development!
At Synthomer, you won’t find generic career tracks or development programs but rather a one-size-fits-one approach to employee development. We’ll partner with you to ensure you have the right experiences that build your capabilities and accelerate your career growth.