Regulatory Affairs Manager
- Post Date:23rd November 2022
- Views 71
Job Title: REGULATORY AFFAIRS MANAGER
Start Date: ASAP
About the British Coatings Federation
The British Coatings Federation is the Trade Association representing the interests of decorative paints, industrial and powder coatings, printing inks, and wallcovering manufacturers in the UK. We have over 140 Full manufacturer members and another over 100 Associate/supplier companies in membership. In all, BCF’s members represent 95% of all the UK sales of paints, coatings, printing inks and wallcoverings, making us the authoritative voice of the sector.
To deliver outstanding member support on technical and regulatory issues – both to answer members’ questions and to proactively manage the regulatory agenda to the benefit of the Coatings industry. Running several BCF’s industry and regulatory groups, the job holder will coordinate members’ needs, articulate these to policymakers both in the UK and in Europe and argue the industry’s corner.
The Manager will be working in a small team reporting directly to the CEO. Their tasks will consist of (not exclusively):
- Develop and maintain an in-depth knowledge on UK & EU legislation, as related to the industry, to provide members with a single point of reference and be seen as an expert source for various topics such as: health & safety; environment: VOC emissions, waste; sustainability; chemicals: REACH, classification, labelling & packaging; operations management; energy & climate change; transport; British & international standards. The actual selection would depend on the individual’s skills and interests.
- Identify Federation interests and action; ensure deadlines for industry responses to proposed legislative changes are met by collating the Members’ views and preparing industry positions for submission to appropriate UK and EU agencies and departments, other industry organisations or others.
- Develop a detailed understanding of relevant industry sectors and markets, championing specific issues e.g., decorative coatings, intumescent coatings, powder coatings, vehicle refinish, marine, packaging, wood finishes, aircraft and defence, high performance, printing inks, and wallcoverings. The actual selection would depend on the individual’s skills and interests.
- Distribute, organise, provide secretarial support and guide, as appropriate, a number of Federation committees, addressing technical, market sector and business issues.
- Produce technical bulletins and briefing papers for the industry on a range of topics, in order that members are kept up to date with developments and topics of interest.
- Develop and manage industry-wide projects which support the members’ and Federation’s requirements to achieve their goals.
- Maintain a wide circle of contacts with government departments, member companies and other external bodies.
- To maintain a range of contacts with end-user and supplier representation bodies.
- To represent the Federation on a range of external committees including upstream and downstream trade associations, and international organisations (e.g., CEPE).
- Respond to member and non-member, including the general public, enquiries to provide accurate and informative responses that meet the needs of the requester and the aims of the Federation.
- To promote membership of the Federation to potential members and to reinforce the benefits of membership to existing members.
- Scientific background (a must) in chemistry or natural sciences
- Industry work experience
- Previous experience dealing with chemical regulations, and/or safety, health and environmental issues preferably within an industry or trade association that is related to chemical mixtures like paint or printing ink or similar
- Experience in a painting or inks company or a trade association (a plus)
- Willing to travel for meetings
- Occasional overnight stays are required to meet the needs of the business although these are limited
Skills and competencies:
- Self-starter with the ability to manage projects without supervision
- Proactive, with the ability to present technical arguments clearly and with confidence to members and authorities e.g., for lobbying, and others
- Presentable, smart, articulate
- Ability to interact with, listen to, and influence senior managers and company owners in the industry
- Competent with IT systems including emails, MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Ability to meet deadlines and follow up actions from meetings
- Organised, Diplomatic, assertive as necessary, and confidential when needed. Trustworthy
- Able to work in a small team
- Languages useful, Able to travel, clean driving licence
A positive company culture, competitive salary and fringe benefits (private pension scheme, BUPA private health care, Flexible working hours). Will consider part-time for the right candidate.
Your application will be handled with the utmost confidentiality. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. To apply for this position please email [email protected]
Start date: ASAP
Related Jobs (4)
Process Safety Manager on 17th March 2023 Full Time
Senior Product Security Response Manager on 17th March 2023 Full Time
Territory Manager – Reading on 16th March 2023 Full Time
Sustainability and Compliance Manager on 1st March 2023 Full Time