Internal Audit Manager - GBR
- Post Date:27th January 2023
- Views 24
Synthomer is an innovative and differentiated global leader in sustainable polymer solutions. The Group is one of the world’s foremost suppliers of water based polymers and has leadership positions in many markets. Our polymers help customers create innovative new products and enhance the performance of existing products in key industries such as coatings, construction, adhesives, textiles, paper and nitrile medical gloves. With the acquisition of Eastman Adhesive Resins in 2022 and Omnova Solutions in 2020, Synthomer grew its global manufacturing network, expanded its product portfolio and boosted its geographical presence, allowing it to better serve over 6000 customers around the world.
Synthomer has its operational headquarters in London, UK, and provides customer-focused services from regional centres in Harlow, UK; Marl, Germany; Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia and Beachwood, Ohio, USA. It employs more than 5000 employees across over 40 sites and is listed on the London Stock Exchange. Synthomer’s Energy Solutions is part of the company’s Functional Solutions SBU and produces additives for use in traditional and new energy markets. William Blythe is a wholly owned subsidiary of Synthomer plc, based in Accrington, UK.
Purpose Of The Job
The primary purpose of the role is to undertake and manage simultaneous internal audits across the entire Synthomer group, to provide assurance to the Synthomer Executive Committee and Board that the risk, governance and internal control frameworks within Synthomer are well designed and operating effectively.
Audit activity will include coverage of all relevant financial, regulatory, operational and other risk and governance activities. The role may also require participation in ad-hoc project and investigations.
- Audit Planning: Use internal and external research to develop a thorough understanding of the audit area and processes under review and undertake comprehensive planning and risk assessments to determine the objective and scope of work to be performed. Develop a detailed test programme to support the delivery of the overall audit objective, ensuring detailed audit work is effectively focussed on areas assessed as higher risk. Maintain a flexible approach to enable the adjustment of audit scope should additional risks be identified during the course of the review.
- Audit Fieldwork: Demonstrate depth of business knowledge throughout the course of the review. Complete fieldwork in an efficient and effective manner to ensure that budgeted deadlines are met without sacrificing depth of testing and overall review quality. Document the audit testing to a high standard to ensure audit objectives are achieved and appropriately evidenced. Compile, consolidate and prioritise the results of audit testing.
- Audit Reporting: Write clear and concise audit reports for distribution and agreement with management that include a clear line of sight between the issues raised and the action plans, and that provide pragmatic actions to address the root cause of any control deficiencies identified. Discuss audit findings with management and agree appropriate management actions and timeframes for implementation. Ensure audit reports are delivered in line with agreed timeframes.
- Management Actions: Support the delivery of the management action follow-up process to ensure updates are received, analysed and reported accurately, and that senior management is appropriately engaged.
- Annual Audit Planning: Using internal and external research and meetings with key stakeholders support the Group Internal Audit and Risk Director in the development of the annual risk based Internal Audit planning
- Time and Cost Management: Manage the delivery of internal audits to agreed time and budget; this may at times involve managing colleagues from other third party organisations (Co source arrangement)
- Other Projects and activities: Participate in ad-hoc projects, investigations and working groups; contributing risk and control expertise together with analytical, investigative and strong communication skills.
- Department Methodologies: Assist with the development and maintenance of Internal Audit methodologies and deliverables in accordance with the principles of IIA professional standards and other regulatory requirements.
- Stakeholder relationships: Develop and maintain productive stakeholder relationships across the Synthomer business
Essential Job Requirements
- Qualified Accountant (ACA, ACCA)
- Considerable background in financial and operational audits, with a detailed understanding and experience of delivering internal audits in complex operational and commercial environments
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to listen and influence effectively across all levels in both written and verbal formats
- Strong analytical skills with ability to interpret a broad range of complex information and evaluate effectiveness of controls
- Demonstrated ability to prioritise and meet deadlines and deliver superior customer service
- High professional standards and integrity
- Strong organisation skills and a logical thinker
- Effective team player
- Commercially aware and ambitious
- IT literate. Data analysis experience using IDEA, MS Excel or MS Access is preferable.
- Ability to be able to travel globally
We are ambitious!
We have grown significantly – both organically and inorganically. We are a FTSE 250 listed company, 22% of our revenue comes from newly commercialized products, and we’re recognized in the top-quartile for chemicals manufacturing safety.
We believe in high challenge, high support!
We are keen to let you contribute in real roles from day 1. We expect a lot, but offer a lot, too. This includes onboarding, induction and learning events, networking opportunities, mentoring and personal development planning. So, be up for an inspiring long-term career adventure.
We personalize our approach to development!
At Synthomer, you won’t find generic career tracks or development programs but rather a one-size-fits-one approach to employee development. We’ll partner with you to ensure you have the right experiences that build your capabilities and accelerate your career growth.