Global Sustainability Counsel
- Post Date:30th June 2023
- Views 91
About the job
We are a technology company born of the belief that companies should do more than just make a profit. They should make the world a better place. Our efforts in climate action, human rights, and digital equity prove that we are working to make it so. With over 80 years of actions that prove our intentions, we have the confidence to envision a world where innovation drives extraordinary contributions to humanity. And our technology – a product and service portfolio of personal systems, printers, and 3D printing solutions – was created to inspire this meaningful progress. We know that thoughtful ideas can come from anyone, anywhere, at any time. And all it takes is one to change the world. In HP Legal our mission is to accelerate HP’s performance through proactive, dynamic, creative, business-savvy advice and counsel. Legal is a key enabler to HP’s strategic vision to create technology that inspires ambitious and meaningful progress.
We are looking for a lawyer with an agile mind and excellent legal skills to join us as the leader of our Sustainability Legal team. This leader will report to the Global Head of Litigation, Ethics & Compliance. This leader will also be a subject matter expert, be substantively involved in issues, and advise clients.
You will be a trusted advisor to business groups around the world and called upon to advise creatively and effectively on complex legal challenges and company initiatives. You and your team will be responsible for counseling HP on a broad range of environmental, health & safety, chemicals, advertising, human rights, EHS and product matters. You will work closely with legal colleagues and directly with business teams and executives in supply chain, procurement, design, sales, marketing and operations as HP continues to invest in sustainability and our commitment to respect human rights.
We are looking for someone who can demonstrate sound judgment even in ambiguous situations, be adept at driving consensus across multiple stakeholders, and develop strong working relationships across the company. We are looking for someone willing to find novel solutions, who can thrive on challenging puzzles, who collaborates to find the best solution, and who can influence without authority. We offer a chance to work with colleagues who lead with respect and integrity, and to develop your career with one of the world’s most trusted brands.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Leads the legal team supporting HP’s teams focused on Sustainable Impact & Compliance and Environmental Health and Safety, as well as supporting projects across the company which range from M&A to disclosures to litigation and beyond.
- Provides strategic advice on existing and emerging global regulations as well as ensuring practical and effective partnerships with compliance functions responsible for compliance on environmental and human-rights legal issues.
- Manages relevant legal strategies and responsibilities, as well as the Legal Sustainability team.
- Establishes strategy and sets operational and strategic goals and priorities for the Legal Sustainability team and assumes responsibility for the successful implementation of them.
- Serves as a trusted advisor to the HP management team on sustainability regulatory compliance and strategic direction for sustainability initiatives.
- Leads complex, multidimensional projects, transactions, or problem resolution that spans legal, business, and functional boundaries (e. g., across geographies, subject matter areas, jurisdictions, organizations and business models).
- Acts as a thought leader by advising on highly complex laws and regulations and their wide-reaching implications for the HP’s operations / businesses. Understands the complexity of being an internal and external thought leader, influencer, and consensus builder while understanding the role as advisor and balancing smart risk and client objectives.
- Leadership roles and skills demonstrating experience with complex compliance and sustainability issues at a large multi-national company, ability to influence across multiple businesses and legal functions, and ability to navigate ambiguous and rapidly changing environments.
- Deep international experience advising on the range of sustainability topics and advocacy relevant to HP with a focus on chemical regulatory compliance, human rights, ESG disclosures and circular economy requirements.
- Excellent legal skills including managing complex and significant legal and regulatory matters; anticipating and providing proactive solutions to eliminate or mitigate risks and advance business with practical and creative advice.
- Demonstrates strong business acumen and the ability to develop a deep understanding of HP’s business, its products, distribution and go to market strategies. Comfortable working across the world on the broad range of environmental and human rights laws and regulations applicable to HP.
- Experience managing complex regulatory investigations and sustainability legal risk in global supply chains.
- Cultural sensitivity and ability to lead multi-cultural teams across the globe.
- Ability to manage a budget effectively and proactively.
- Advanced university degree in law (e.g., JD or LLB).
- Meets local, legal-licensing requirements.
- 15-20 years’ relevant experience.
- Work history in a large multinational company with a complex supply chain.
- Advanced expertise in the context of a multinational company across a broad range of global sustainability regulations, particularly chemical compliance (REACH, TSCA), human rights (UFLPA, CS3D, FLR) and electronic products compliance (RoHS, WEEE, Batteries, Eco-design/energy).
- Experience advising the most senior representatives of external and internal organizations on highly complex, high impact legal matters.
- Demonstrated ability to provide creative support to advocacy initiatives.
- Experience developing novel compliance approaches responsive to laws of first impression.
- 4+ years of experience managing a small team, located around the world.
Skills And Attributes
- Operates with the highest level of professionalism and integrity.
- Excellent judgment and comfort in managing risk trade-offs and making appropriate decisions to balance competing demands.
- Strong financial and business acumen, as well as the ability to build strong relationships with business leaders.
- Sensitive to people from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and cultures.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and partnership skills; ability to work across multiple functions and effectively influence without authority.
- Thrives in a dynamic, ever-changing environment.
- Independent thinker, pro-active worker.
You’re out to reimagine and reinvent what’s possible—in your career as well as the world around you.
So are we. We love taking on tough challenges, disrupting the status quo, and creating what’s next. We’re in search of talented people who are inspired by big challenges, driven to learn and grow, and dedicated to making a meaningful difference.
HP is a technology company that operates in more than 170 countries around the world united in creating technology that makes life better for everyone, everywhere.
Our history: HP’s commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion – it’s just who we are.
From the boardroom to factory floor, we create a culture where everyone is respected and where people can be themselves, while being a part of something bigger than themselves. We celebrate the notion that you can belong at HP and bring your authentic self to work each and every day. When you do that, you’re more innovative and that helps grow our bottom line. Come to HP and thrive!