Development Chemist Apprenticeship
- Post Date:10th February 2023
- Views 60
We’ve been pioneering a world of possibilities to bring surfaces to life for well over 200 years. As experts in making coatings, there’s a good chance you’re only ever a few meters away from one of our products. Our world class portfolio of brands – including Dulux, International, Sikkens and Interpon – is trusted by customers around the globe. We’re active in more than 150 countries and have set our sights on becoming the global industry leader. It’s what you’d expect from the most sustainable paints company, which has been inventing the future for more than two centuries.Development Chemist Apprenticeship
Felling, Gateshead, Tyne & Wear
In partnership with Bradford university
With a qualification in Chemistry, such as an A level or HNC, or science based subject you are looking to use your talents to develop a career in a company that can offer a long term future and careers with breadth, depth of scope and impact. We are looking for a Development Chemist to join our Fouling Control team based in our Marine, Protective and Yacht Business Unit as an apprentice and provide R&D technical support to the business while developing their learning by completing a part time BSc hons, in Chemistry at Bradford University. To support learning you will receive day release and tuition fees will be paid by the business.
As an Apprentice Development Chemist you will support activities on a range of projects. You could find yourself developing new products and technologies, testing existing products and coating systems or developing our fundamental understanding and expertise of key coating attributes so we can support the long-term market and products. We will look to you to successfully plan and execute experiments to agreed timescales as well as interpret and report results. You will also ensure materials are stocked or to ensure your projects be completed. Key will be the ability to work safely while following company procedures.
The successful candidate will be committed to completing a BSc in Chemistry and must have the required entry level qualifications (A Level or HNC in Chemistry or a Science subject). You will also be good at following set processes and operating safely. You will demonstrate the ability to produce written communications, such as data findings and analytical reports, and be organised and comfortable multitasking. Experience of working in a laboratory would be an advantage.
Technologist – The Role
- Develop new products & technologies.
- Test/support of existing products & coating systems.
- Develop a fundamental understanding of key coating attributes.
- Plan & execute experiments to agreed timescales.
- Develop proposals/recommendations for experiments.
- Document work using the appropriate reporting systems.
- Interpret & communicate results.
- Ensure all corporate & regulatory policies, procedures & regulations are followed.
- Identify opportunities & generate ideas for process improvement.
Technologist – About You
- Committed to a career in R&D.
- Qualified at A level/B-Tech or equivalent in a science-based subject, ideally Chemistry.
- Familiar with relevant experimental, development and/or analytical approaches or techniques.
- Able to follow set procedures.
- Good communication & interpersonal skills.
- Focused on working safely.
- Enjoys a collaborative working environment where supporting colleagues is key.
Technologist – What Is In It For You
We offer great personal development opportunities and roles with breadth, depth of scope and impact. We also offer comprehensive packages including:
- Competitive Salary (depending on experience)
- 25 days holiday excluding bank holidays
- Income protection
- Staff discount at Dulux Decorator Centre stores
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Employee Life Assurance
- Company pension
- Product discounts
- Flexible benefits scheme offering benefits including Gymflex, retail card, dental cover and more!
Technologist – How To Apply
We have been inventing the future for more than two centuries and need people like you to be part of the team. Apply online via the link and we will get right back to you.
We are advocates of a healthy work life balance and mental wellbeing. We are happy to look at flexible working options for all our roles.
At AkzoNobel we are highly committed to ensuring an inclusive and respectful workplace where all employees can be their best self. We strive to embrace diversity in a context of tolerance. Our talent acquisition process plays an integral part in this journey, as setting the foundations for a diverse environment. For this reason we train and educate on the implications of our Unconscious Bias in order for our TA and hiring managers to be mindful of them and take corrective actions when applicable. In our organization, all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age or disability.