Apprentice R & D
- Post Date:2nd June 2023
- Views 73
About the job
Finishing your A Levels and looking for a career that will put your Chemistry qualifications to use? We have 2 vacancies to join us as Research & Development Apprentices.
Join our Research & Development team in Darwen as an apprentice, learn whilst earning and gain a Degree in Laboratory Science!
As an R&D Apprentice, you’ll spend time in all areas of our labs including: Product Development, Polymer Synthesis, Analytical, Colour and Technical Service. You will be working across the whole of our product range from Wall and Trim decorative coatings to speciality performance products and more.
Embark on a 4-year training programme in partnership with award winning Manchester MET University!
Using a mixture of on-the-job learning with university led distance learning, you’ll spend 4 years working through various modules including organic chemistry, inorganic chemistry, physical chemistry and much more. You’ll also be very much part of the University Community, with planned social residential trips over the duration of the course.
Here are some of the other things you can look forward to:
- Testing new and innovative products, raw materials and technology concepts.
- Laboratory preparation of paint samples and full testing to specified requirements.
- Providing formulation and raw material support to the business.
- Reporting and interpretation of results, with initial recommendations to peers and the R&D management team.
- Developing knowledge of various test methods and an understanding of how to observe, record and interpret the results.
- Evaluating new raw materials and where appropriate, incorporate them into existing formulations.
- Market benchmarking.
- Gaining full training on how to use the relevant laboratory computer software and test equipment.
What will you need to be successful?
- Applicants should have a minimum of 104 UCAS points at A-level (grades BCC), or equivalent qualification with one being Chemistry or an equivalent scientific subject area
- We will evaluate any applicants who do not meet these requirements but have relevant workplace experience or other equivalent qualifications (eg BTEC diploma/extended diploma in a scientific field)
- Applicants also need GCSE Mathematics and English Language (grade A*-C / 9-4) or equivalent – or must complete Level 2 Functional Skills qualifications alongside the apprenticeship
- Unrestricted right to work in the UK and located within a daily commute to Darwen – required to be eligible for apprenticeship funding
With great work, comes great reward!
The R & D Laboratories operate flexible working in Darwen, Lancashire and employ around 30 people. Crown Paints, a part of Hempel, have been manufacturing for over 200 years, with over 60 years proudly holding the Royal Warrant.
Alongside our attractive base salary and excellent working environment, other benefits we offer include:
- Fully funded Level 6 in Laboratory Science Degree (BSC HONS in Chemical Science)
- 28 days basic annual leave (plus 8 bank holidays)
- Generous pension plan
- Discount on our products & vouchers online
- Many health & wellbeing benefits including a health cash plan
Application and further information
To apply for this position, please submit your application letter with a CV in English no later than 5th June.
Interviews will be conducted onsite in Darwen w/c 12th June, with successful candidate appointed by 30th June to meet course enrolment deadlines.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Crown Paints is one of UK’s most renown paint manufacturers and we have been manufacturing for over 200 years, with over 60 years proudly holding the Royal Warrant. However, what really sets Crown apart is the support we provide for cultural, humanitarian and scientific causes across the world through our ownership structure. Crown Paints is part of the Hempel Group, which gives our company stability and our employees extended, global career possibilities.