Method Development Chemist
- Post Date:17th February 2023
- Views 54
Synthomer is an innovative and differentiated global leader in sustainable polymer solutions. The Group is one of the world’s foremost suppliers of water based polymers and has leadership positions in many markets. Our polymers help customers create innovative new products and enhance the performance of existing products in key industries such as coatings, construction, adhesives, textiles, paper and nitrile medical gloves. With the acquisition of Eastman Adhesive Resins in 2022 and Omnova Solutions in 2020, Synthomer grew its global manufacturing network, expanded its product portfolio and boosted its geographical presence, allowing it to better serve over 6000 customers around the world.
Synthomer has its operational headquarters in London, UK, and provides customer-focused services from regional centres in Harlow, UK; Marl, Germany; Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia and Beachwood, Ohio, USA. It employs more than 5000 employees across over 40 sites and is listed on the London Stock Exchange. Synthomer’s Energy Solutions is part of the company’s Functional Solutions SBU and produces additives for use in traditional and new energy markets. William Blythe is a wholly owned subsidiary of Synthomer plc, based in Accrington, UK.
Purpose Of The Job
Responsible to the Analytical Manager the candidate will develop and validate global analytical methodologies for the company. These will fit in-line with stringent validation protocols per ISO standards and support the long-term vision of the analytical function. The role will also involve the development of methods which bridge company functions to provide a harmonised analytical approach. The candidate must be able to manage multiple projects and be self-motivated. Has a detailed understanding of analytical instrumentation and validation and provide necessary supporting documentation to all areas of the business and beyond if required. Through method development helps offers improvements in efficiencies with the analytical functions.
- Participate in the day to day responsibility for laboratory safety and to ensure that all personnel act in accordance with company’s SHE directives.
- To be responsible for the development and roll out of new analytical methods.
- To provide expert analytical support to Operations and Customers related to the chemistry, processing and applications of the Companies’ products.
- Ensure a high level of analytical rigour is applied to the development of new methods and to comply with validation protocol
- To ensure that the maintenance and calibration of GC, GC-MS, HPLC, LC-MS and FTIR equipment in the analytical laboratory is of a high standard.
- To ensure compliance with companies Health and Safety programs.
- Provide training to the lab staff on newly developed methods
- Regular SBU updates on method development
- Opportunity to play a lead role in implementation of ISO 17025 accreditation
- Minimum of a BSc in chemistry (preferably analytical).
- 5+ years relevant work experience in method development (preferably in polymer testing).
- Experience in method development using GC-MS and LC-MS, HPLC and GC.
- Knowledge of the following techniques is required; GC-MS, LC-MS, GC and HPLC.
- Some background/experience of ISO 10725 environment
- Knowledge of the following techniques is preferred; FT-IR, GPC (gel permeation chromatography) with viscometery, RI and light scattering detectors, micro chamber, purge and trap and DSC (differential scanning calorimetry).
We are ambitious!
We have grown significantly – both organically and inorganically. We are a FTSE 250 listed company, 22% of our revenue comes from newly commercialized products, and we’re recognized in the top-quartile for chemicals manufacturing safety.
We believe in high challenge, high support!
We are keen to let you contribute in real roles from day 1. We expect a lot, but offer a lot, too. This includes onboarding, induction and learning events, networking opportunities, mentoring and personal development planning. So, be up for an inspiring long-term career adventure.
We personalize our approach to development!
At Synthomer, you won’t find generic career tracks or development programs but rather a one-size-fits-one approach to employee development. We’ll partner with you to ensure you have the right experiences that build your capabilities and accelerate your career growth.