- Post Date:10th February 2023
- Views 75
Synthomer is an innovative and differentiated global leader in sustainable polymer solutions. The Group is one of the world’s foremost suppliers of water based polymers and has leadership positions in many markets. Our polymers help customers create innovative new products and enhance the performance of existing products in key industries such as coatings, construction, adhesives, textiles, paper and nitrile medical gloves. With the acquisition of Eastman Adhesive Resins in 2022 and Omnova Solutions in 2020, Synthomer grew its global manufacturing network, expanded its product portfolio and boosted its geographical presence, allowing it to better serve over 6000 customers around the world.
Synthomer has its operational headquarters in London, UK, and provides customer-focused services from regional centres in Harlow, UK; Marl, Germany; Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia and Beachwood, Ohio, USA. It employs more than 5000 employees across over 40 sites and is listed on the London Stock Exchange. Synthomer’s Energy Solutions is part of the company’s Functional Solutions SBU and produces additives for use in traditional and new energy markets. William Blythe is a wholly owned subsidiary of Synthomer plc, based in Accrington, UK.
Purpose Of The Job
As a Battery Application Expert you will be joining Synthomer’s Energy Solutions team, which produces polymer based binders that are used in the batteries that go in electric vehicles and other devices. You will be based at Synthomer’s battery centre of excellence located on our William Blythe site in Accrington, UK.
As the successful candidate you will construct batteries using our materials, gaining a deep understanding in how to maximise their performance and facilitate innovation in new areas. Your advice will provide support to battery manufacturers as they integrate our materials into the their systems. This is an exciting time to join the team as the drive to car electrification grows globally and Synthomer expands with it.
- Testing Synthomer’s polymer materials and other additives in battery systems. This will involve converting raw materials all the way up to battery cells, including the process of electrode formulation, printing and assembly into cells. Providing full electrochemical screening of cells containing our polymer additives, including determining battery lifespan and resistance
- Providing application support to the Energy Solutions team in answering customer enquiries. Carryout agreed battery and chemical testing of polymers to support customers and facilitate business development
- Further development of Synthomer’s electrode formulation expertise
- Support battery binder innovation projects by testing materials in batteries to draw a link between structure and battery performance
- Install and commission electrochemical and battery manufacturing equipment. Become an expert on the manufacture and test of our materials in battery systems. Develop appropriate standard operating procedures for equipment where appropriate
- Support the continuing development of Synthomer’s battery lab in Accrington as a centre of excellence. Act as a focal point of advice within Synthomer on technical matters related to batteries
- Work within company and local SHE-standards
Essential Job Requirements
- The ideal candidate will have a degree in chemistry or similar science and have experience in electrochemistry
- Industrial experience in the manufacturing of lithium-ion battery cells is preferred, but not essential
- Strong written and oral communication skills with the ability to communicate with a range of audiences
- Good level of computer literacy with competency in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Able to work in a team and independently
We Offer a Highly Desirable Benefits Package, Including
- Subsidised Private Health Insurance
- Company Bonus Scheme
- Discount voucher scheme
- Contributory Pension
- Cycle to work scheme
- Life Insurance
- Support Counselling
- Company social events throughout the year
- Free parking on site
We are ambitious!
We have grown significantly – both organically and inorganically. We are a FTSE 250 listed company, 22% of our revenue comes from newly commercialized products, and we’re recognized in the top-quartile for chemicals manufacturing safety.
We believe in high challenge, high support!
We are keen to let you contribute in real roles from day 1. We expect a lot, but offer a lot, too. This includes onboarding, induction and learning events, networking opportunities, mentoring and personal development planning. So, be up for an inspiring long-term career adventure.
We personalize our approach to development!
At Synthomer, you won’t find generic career tracks or development programs but rather a one-size-fits-one approach to employee development. We’ll partner with you to ensure you have the right experiences that build your capabilities and accelerate your career growth.